Saturday 17 January 2015

Roasted Beet Salad

Beet Salad
Roasted Beet Salad
This is the salad  I served with the Pastry Wrapped Salmon, a post from a few days ago. It's incredibly delicious, so much so that you might be able to convert beet haters into beet lovers. 
I'm not exaggerating, I'm a fairly new convert myself. I spent most of my life hating beet until one day my grandma convinced me to try her beet salad. She boils the beets instead of roasting them but the combination of the sweet beet and the sourness of the vinegar is, in my humble opinion, a perfect marriage! 
I've opted for roasting the beets because I find that it increases the vegetables' flavor and likely help maintain more nutrients in the plate, since they don't get lost in the cooking water. 
beet salad
Roasted Beet Salad
beet salad
Salmon & Beet Salad
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Yield: 2 portions
Level: Easy

Ingredients

  • 2 Medium beets
  • 1 Rosemary stem 
  • 4 Thyme stems
  • 2 tbsp of Olive oil
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
For the dressing:

  • 3 tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar (but any other vinegar works too)
  • 6 tbsp of Olive oil
Start by peeling, washing and dicing the beets. Toss them with 2 tbsp of olive oil, salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme stems. Through them in a baking sheet and roast them in a pre-heated 400 F (200 C) oven for approximately 30 minutes. 

Take the beet out of the oven and transfer them into a bowl, toss in the dressing and wait until it cools before you dig in. :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

3 comments:

  1. I actually love beets so I must try this - Thanks for linking up to Pin Worthy Wednesday, I have pinned your post to the Pin Worthy Wednesday Pinterest Board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am starting to appreciate beets more and this simple salad sounds delicious.

    found this on Pin Worthy Wednesday

    ReplyDelete